Car Battery Replacement & Installation
Lamb’s Tire & Automotive has top quality auto repair services in Austin, TX including complete car battery services, which include:
- A free battery check, including measuring your battery’s output
- Cleaning and applying anti-corrosion protectant to your battery terminals
- Replacement of your battery
- Proper disposal of your old battery
Your car’s battery is vital to start your engine. It also stores energy created by the alternator and runs the secondary electrical systems such as your lights, radio, power seats, power windows, and added electrical components in your car. Your vehicle’s electrical system powers every thing from the ignition and fuel systems to add-ons such as your radio, headlights and wipers. The electric system is then, powered by the engine.
Tips for Car Battery Care Austin, TX
Batteries are chargeable, and it’s a really good idea to carry jumper cables or a transportable battery charging system in your vehicle in case of unexpected emergencies. You never know when you might need to jump start your automobile, or also assist an additional driver in need. When your battery is worn out, reuse it! Battery recycling may reduce the resources needed for producing new batteries. When you reuse your batteries, you can likewise stop poisonous chemicals from land fills or poor disposal.
Let Lamb’s Tire & Automotive assist you in choosing the right battery for you and your automobile.
To help you care for your battery, we suggest the following:
- Tidy and take out rust and add anti corrosive protection
- Tighten up loosened hold-down clamps and terminals
- Test battery condition
- Check the alternator belt tension and wear
- Remember to turn off front lights, cabin lights, and the vehicle radio when the vehicle isn’t in use
Lamb’s Tire & Automotive does Battery Replacement in Austin, TX
Your automobile’s battery is vital to start your engine. Battery recycling can minimize the resources needed for manufacturing brand-new batteries. Allow our team of mechanics to help you in deciding on the right battery for your vehicle. We can also safely and professionally install your battery and get you back on the road. Come in today for all your battery care needs.
Call us soon to schedule your next battery replacement or other Austin, TX auto repair service. Lamb’s Tire & Automotive is proud to be your number one car services center and provider of Austin, TX tires.
Proudly Serving the Following Locations:
- South Lamar
- North Lamar
- Far West
- 290 West
- Bee Cave – 12221 FM 2244
- Bee Cave II – 11711 RR 2244
- Cedar Park – 501 N Bell Blvd
- Cedar Park II – 2620 E Whitestone Blvd
- Brushy Creek – 15909 Great Oaks Dr
- Brushy Creek II – 16350 RR 620
- Four Points
- Lake Creek
How a Car Battery Works
A car’s electrical system is made up of the battery, the starting system, and the charging system. Each plays an important part in providing power to the vehicle, starting it, and then keeping it running. Finally, it is the wiring that connects these parts and gets the power where it needs to be throughout the system.
The battery consists of lead plates in a solution of sulfuric acid and water. The electrical energy needed is the result of a chemical reaction that happens inside the battery, where electrons are released through conductors. That energy created is sent into the car’s electrical system where it is used to start the car and power the accessories.
This is an intricate system that takes place in an instant under the hood of your car. What happens, though, when something goes wrong with the battery?
Pay Attention to These Battery Problem Warning Signs
Because of the critical role your battery plays in the operation of your vehicle, it’s important to maintain all preventative maintenance appointments. In between those service appointments, pay attention to the following warning signs that something is wrong:
- Difficulty starting your engine
- The fuses blow out frequently
- Burning insulation or plastic smell
- Electrical components like the GPA or radio aren’t working
- The battery malfunctions frequently
- Turn signals, interior lights, or dashboard lights aren’t working properly
- The headlights don’t work or aren’t as bright as they should be
If you experience any of these issues, bring your car to Lamb’s Tire & Automotive. Our ASE-certified mechanics will diagnose the problem using up-to-date equipment, wiring diagrams, and specifications. You may not need a battery replacement, but at least you will know for sure what the problem is and have the opportunity to repair or replace it.
The Effects of Weather on a Battery
If you live in extreme heat or cold, pay particular attention to your battery. At the beginning of either season, you should bring your car into a local Lamb’s Tire & Automotive location to have your car battery tested to ensure the strength of the system.
During the winter, the engine needs additional power to start the vehicle, requiring 12.4 volts or more. Over the course of the winter, the battery is strained to provide this additional power. Bring your vehicle early in the winter to have our experienced mechanics test the strength of the battery.
On the other hand, high temperatures can harm your car’s battery and shorten its life. The heat from the weather adds to the heat generated by the engine. Water evaporates from the battery, which can result in less power to start the engine. All of this results in a weakened ability to start the engine.
Tips to Promote a Healthier Car Battery Life
- Keep your car at an average temperature as much as possible
- Use a slow charger if you need to recharge your battery yourself
- Let the battery cool down before charging after a long drive
Signs a New Battery Is Needed
You don’t want to wait until the day the car won’t start due to a dead battery. If that happens, you can often boost the battery with cables, but it is only a temporary fix. Bring the car into Lamb’s Tire for a battery check right away. Our mechanics can perform a battery test and let you know if you’re in need of battery replacement.
A battery that has weakened will turn the engine over slower than normal, cause the dash lights to dim, and dim the headlights when the engine is idling. The power windows may move slower than usual. You may see corrosion around the battery terminals and cables under the hood.
Driving a car consistently protects the battery and keeps it fully charged. If a car sits for long periods, the battery deteriorates. You will need to have our mechanics perform a battery test when you drive the car again to make sure the battery doesn’t fail you.
The dashboard indicator lights provide valuable information. Don’t ignore them! If the battery icon lights up, make an appointment to have the battery checked as soon as possible.
Pay attention to any of these signs. They can alert you to trouble ahead. Then, set an appointment at Lamb’s Tire & Automotive for advice and assistance. Check out our specials and coupons!
Types of Car Batteries
Here are the two of the most common types of car batteries, along with the pros and cons of each:
1. The Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) Battery
The AGM battery:
- Can stand up to repeated draining and recharging cycles
- Can handle modern auto technology that increases demand for power
- Is more expensive than highly rated conventional batteries
The electrical components and other devices found in today’s vehicles will generally require the power of the AGM battery.
2. The Maintenance-Free Lead-Acid Battery
- Retains its fluid for the life of the battery
- Generally lasts longer in hot climates
- Usually costs significantly less than an AGM battery
- Doesn’t hold a charge for as long as the AGM
- Can’t tolerate a deep discharge
No matter which battery you buy, during battery installation the mechanic must make sure it fits securely in the car. The battery terminals must be in the right place or the cables won’t fit tightly. Check this in your owner’s manual, or let your Lamb’s Tire mechanic advise you and install the battery for you.
Know Your Car Battery’s Warranty
Being informed about the warranty on your battery can save you time, money, and frustration:
- If the battery fails before the warranty expires, what are your options?
- What is the longest free replacement time frame?
- Does the warranty provide for partial reimbursement?
- Under what conditions is the warranty considered void?
Ask questions before you purchase a battery. Know the terms of the warranty in a variety of situations, even if you think they don’t apply to your car or current driving conditions.
When you search for a new battery for your car, choose Lamb’s Tire & Automotive. It is a good opportunity to begin a positive working relationship with our service staff. We can respond to your questions about the purchase of your battery as well as its upkeep during the warranty period. We can test the battery upon request and monitor its performance and capability before it fails and leaves you stranded.