Transmission Shop in Austin, TX
Since transmission fluid loses effectiveness over time, flushing your transmission fluid often might lengthen the life of the transmission itself and avoid some future problems. Lamb’s Tire & Automotive delivers high-quality budget-friendly transmission repair and auto repair services in Austin, TX.
Our transmission services include:
- Expert repairing and replacing of the transmission
- Dropping the transmission pan and flushing the fluid
- Replacing the transmission fluid and transmission filter
- Inspecting the transmission for signs of damage, corrosion, or excessive wear
What it does: Transmission fluid coats and protects the gears in the transmission. This coating helps protect against extreme wear and slipping of the gears. This is why it is essential that a transmission fluid flush be performed every 30,000 miles.
Why servicing is very important: Transmission fluid loses effectiveness over time. Replacing your transmission fluid at routine periods may lengthen the life of the transmission and prevent some transmission troubles.
Transmission Repair in Austin, TX Protects the Life of Your Car
Have your transmission checked if:
- Your automobile won’t move
- You have difficulty shifting gears
- The transmission appears to be sliding
- The transmission is extraordinarily loud
- Transmission fluid is leaking (red colored and sweet smelling)
- Grinding noises are heard when shifting gears
- There are issues with the clutch
- The Check Engine light is on
Throughout a transmission flush, we:
- Drop the transmission pan and flush old fluid
- Replace the fluid and transmission filter
- Inspect for indications of wear, damage, or corrosion
Lamb’s Tire & Automotive Offers Quality Transmission Repair in Austin, TX
Schedule a consultation for a transmission check and fluid flush today at Lamb’s Tire & Automotive to prevent common transmission complications and lengthen the life of your automobile! Contact Lamb’s Tire & Automotive now to schedule your next transmission fluid flush. Lamb’s Tire & Automotive is thrilled to be your number one auto-repair center and provider of tires in Austin, TX.
Every vehicle relies on a properly working transmission to be able to operate smoothly. Simply put, if there is an issue within this critical system, the vehicle will not go anywhere.
If you find yourself in a situation where you are searching for a professional transmission shop, our team here at Lamb’s Tire & Automotive can help. Our ASE-certified mechanics offer high-quality transmission repair and service, no matter if you have an automatic, manual, or even semi-automatic transmission.
When your vehicle is due, we are ready and able to properly perform a transmission fluid change or full transmission flush. And if your vehicle is experiencing a more serious transmission issue, we can properly handle any transmission repair that you may need—even if it’s a full transmission replacement.
A High-Quality Austin, TX Transmission Shop You Can Count On
A modern vehicle’s transmission system is an extremely sensitive and complicated mix of components. That is why transmission servicing should be left to a trusted and experienced professional.
Here at Lamb’s Tire & Automotive, we offer a wide range of high-quality transmission services and repairs. Our expert mechanics use professional tools and state-of-the-art equipment to accurately diagnose any transmission problems, service your transmission fluid, and properly handle any transmission-repair needs you may have. You can count on our team to help keep your transmission running at its best.
How a Car’s Transmission System Works
To understand the importance of properly maintaining the system, it can be helpful to understand how the transmission works.
The transmission system serves as the direct link between the engine and your vehicle’s wheels. So, no matter what type of vehicle you drive, the transmission system is a crucial piece of the puzzle when it comes to the vehicle’s performance and reliability. Essentially, this system converts the mechanical power from your engine into torque, which is then transferred to the wheels to move your vehicle.
The transmission keeps the engine output matched with the speed and load conditions. Because of the high rotational speeds of vehicles, the transmission reduces any excess engine-output speed and transmits the proper amount of torque to the differential, driveshaft, and wheels. As the engine speed varies, the transmission shifts between the gears, which influences the amount of torque that is sent to the wheels.
Your vehicle’s transmission fluid performs a variety of important duties, depending on the specific type of transmission system. It helps keep the system cool by absorbing excess heat generated from the high amount of mechanical movement. It also keeps the transmission protected by lubricating the internal gears and preventing rust and corrosion. In a manual transmission system, the clutch and gear shifts provide the necessary force and pressure. Meanwhile, in an automatic transmission system, the transmission fluid is what provides these same functions of pressure and force.
The transmission system is critical to the movement of your vehicle. That is why it is so important to ensure you keep it properly maintained, which enables it to operate optimally and prevents the need for a more serious transmission repair down the road.
Protect the System By Properly Maintaining the Transmission Fluid
It is essential for the transmission system to be included in your vehicle’s preventive-maintenance routine.
Transmission fluid doesn’t last forever. Due to everyday use, it picks up dirt, deposits, and other debris as it cycles through the system. Running your vehicle on extremely dirty or low transmission fluid can cause shifting problems or even cause the whole system to seize up, leading to the need for a very costly total transmission replacement.
So, bringing your vehicle in for a transmission service at the suggested intervals will help prevent bigger problems down the road. If your transmission fluid is extremely dirty and/or “burnt,” it should definitely be replaced ASAP to keep your system properly protected and running at its best.
There are two types of service when it comes to the transmission fluid: a transmission fluid change (aka a transmission pan service) and a full transmission flush.
What is the Difference Between a Transmission Fluid Change and a Transmission Flush?
A transmission fluid change or transmission flush can be done either in conjunction with each other or separately, but they are two entirely separate transmission-system services.
During a transmission fluid change, the transmission pan is drained manually, inspected, and then thoroughly cleaned. Then, a new transmission filter is installed and new, clean transmission fluid is added to the system. This leaves a mix of new and old fluid. So, with this service, only roughly 30% of the transmission fluid is replaced, but it does allow access for the installation of a new fluid filter and gasket.
Alternatively, a full transmission flush removes all of the old, dirty fluid and replaces it with new, fresh transmission fluid. Because this process involves pushing pressure through the cooler lines, it also purges any built-up deposits. However, this service usually does not include the replacement of the transmission-fluid filter.
For today’s vehicles, there are many different types of transmission fluids available. We use high-quality synthetic transmission fluid here at Lamb’s Tire & Automotive, which meets or exceeds manufacturer specifications. For vehicles that require a different type of fluid, we use Original Equipment-type transmission fluid.
Red Flags That Your Vehicle May Need a Transmission Service
To help prevent a small transmission issue from becoming a big problem, it is helpful to be aware of some red flags to look out for, including:
- An illuminated Check Engine light: Though it can indicate a variety of different issues, if this light is on, it often means a transmission issue is present.
- Grinding gears or gear slipping: During normal operation, when the transmission system shifts between gears it will be smooth. If the system is failing, it may grind when shifting. The system may even shift into Neutral unintentionally, which then affects your ability to properly control the vehicle’s acceleration/deceleration.
- Strange/excessive noise: Excessive noise is also an indication of transmission problems, even if the transmission is in Neutral. You may hear knocking, loud grinding, or other unusual sounds coming from the engine. This can also sometimes happen while accelerating.
- Shifting difficulties: If it is physically hard to move a manual shifter between gears or if it won’t go into gear at all, this is a clear sign of a transmission problem.
- Vehicle hesitates after shifting: Sometimes, with a transmission issue, the vehicle will hesitate before moving forward when shifting from Park into first gear (or Drive), from Park into Reverse, or when shifting beyond first gear.
- Vehicle “bucks” when shifting: If the vehicle jerks or bucks forward when shifting gears, there could be a transmission-fluid issue, a problem between gear shifts, or the transmission is spinning faster than the engine is.
- Strong/strange smells: When transmission fluid is burning (hence overheating the transmission) it will cause a burning smell to come through the air vents. This happens when the fluid is so dirty/used that it can’t properly lubricate the system’s components anymore or absorb any excess heat.
- Transmission fluid leaking: Fluid should never actively leak from your engine. Red puddles under the center of the car is an indication of leaking transmission fluid.
- Clutch problems: Another clear indication of a transmission issue, specifically in a manual transmission, is a dragging clutch—a clutch that is failing to disengage from the flywheel. In this instance, a grinding noise is caused by the clutch continuing to spin with your vehicle’s engine.
If you are experiencing any of the above warning signs, contact us here at Lamb’s Tire & Automotive today about our professional transmission services. Our ASE-certified mechanics can pinpoint exactly what is happening in your transmission system and perform the necessary maintenance or repair with expert quality.
How to Help Extend Your Car’s Transmission System’s Lifespan
There are several easy things you can do to prevent undue stress on your transmission. The main takeaway is to be mindful of how hard you are using the system. Things that can negatively impact your transmission’s lifespan include extreme/fast driving habits, frequently towing heavy loads, or carrying excessive loads.
The other thing to remain aware of is the quality of your transmission fluid. Old, dirty, and unchanged transmission fluid can cause significant performance issues, especially in automatic transmissions that rely on the fluid for the necessary pressure and force.
As mentioned above, staying on top of the manufacturer-recommended routine transmission maintenance for your vehicle can help prevent expensive transmission problems. A transmission fluid service helps keep the system’s components properly protected and maximizes the lifespan of the transmission. Having to replace a fried transmission due to neglect or misuse is the last thing you want to do.
No matter if you need a transmission fluid change or a full transmission flush, the team here at Lamb’s Tire & Automotive has got you covered.
We Are Your Trusted, Local Transmission Shop!
The experts at each of our conveniently located Lamb’s Tire & Automotive shops have the knowledge, experience, and professional tools and equipment to properly meet all of your vehicle’s transmission-service needs.
Schedule your appointment for an expert transmission service today!
Austin, TX Transmission Repair FAQ
What does the transmission do?
One of the most important functions of a transmission is to protect the engine from destroying itself. The transmission keeps the engine from turning too quickly and provides structural stability. Without a transmission, your engine would shake violently, causing significant damage to the engine and any attached components. The transmission acts to temper the maximum rotation and movement that the engine can perform.
How does a transmission work?
On a manual transmission, the gears are changed via the gear lever and the clutch. The driver is responsible for engaging the clutch and shifting the gears to the correct gear, based on the RPM. As the transmission has many moving parts and is crucial to the smooth running of your vehicle, it is vital to stay on top of your transmission service and repair.
How do I know if I need a new transmission or transmission repair?
- Failure of the car to automatically change gears while driving
- A grinding noise
- A foul or burning smell coming from your engine
- Clunky gear changes
- Leaking fluids
- Intense shaking of the engine while driving
- Noises while the vehicle is idling
- Gears slipping
If you are experiencing any of these issues, or just want us to check something out, schedule an appointment today at the Lamb’s Tire & Automotive nearest to you.
What transmission repair service does Lamb’s Tire & Automotive offer?
Maintaining the health of your car through proper transmission service, or an occasional transmission flush, is a key part of your car’s upkeep. Even if you just want to make sure everything is working correctly, Lamb’s Tire & Automotive is here to help.
What is a transmission flush?
How often do I need a transmission flush?
Does a transmission flush damage my car, and can I do it myself?
- The wrong oil could be used
- The old fluid is not entirely removed
- The old fluid can become clogged if not removed properly
- Flush chemicals could damage the transmission if not used in the exact proportions required and with the correct equipment
At Lamb’s Tire & Automotive, we do not recommend performing a transmission flush yourself. Instead, let the professional mechanics handle this meticulous and complex transmission service.
How do I choose the correct transmission repair shop?
When it comes to finding the perfect auto shop for transmission repair, look no further than Lamb’s Tire & Automotive. We offer several locations in the Austin area, so there is always a convenient, quality auto shop right around the corner. We pride ourselves on our excellent service and reasonable prices. Check out all our locations, and find a Lamb’s Tire & Automotive near you.
Does Lamb’s Tire & Automotive offer any transmission service discounts?
We offer a 10% discount on a service special with possible savings of up to $150. You must present the coupon in person to receive this discount, and there are some exclusions. For example, you cannot use this coupon with any other coupons or offers or use it to purchase certain services.
At Lamb’s Tire & Automotive, we are all about saving you money and performing top-notch auto service. You can trust our ASE-certified mechanics with all your transmission servicing and auto repair.