When you’re a driver in Austin, Texas, taking good care of your car or truck is essential. Getting regular auto maintenance and repairs as needed may be an expense, but these services can pay off by giving your vehicle’s lifespan a boost. At the same time, auto service will help your car run as smoothly and efficiently as possible for years to come.
But before you can take advantage of these services, you’ll need to know where you can go to get them. Here, we’ll look at two of the leading providers for auto maintenance and repair work: dealerships and independent auto repair shops. While both of these options can deliver quality automotive care, one of them is the clear winner in terms of value. Read on to find out which provider of auto repair Austin residents should pick.
For many Austin motorists, getting dealership service feels like the “default” option. After all, this is presumably where they bought their vehicle in the first place. That said, deciding where to get auto service is a high-stakes decision. Even if sticking with your dealership seems like an easy answer, thoroughly weighing your options is crucial.
If you plan on only owning one car brand, visiting your dealership for service may be ideal. For obvious reasons, most dealerships specialize in offering services for the car brands they sell. That level of specialization can be a perk for some (but not all) vehicle owners.
It’s also worth mentioning that dealership service is backed up by your vehicle’s brand name. As a result, dealerships will almost certainly have access to original equipment manufacturer (OEM) parts. These parts are as high-quality and long-lasting as those that came preinstalled in your car or truck.
Unfortunately, your dealership’s brand name isn’t just a guarantee of quality service and original parts. In all too many cases, it’s also a license to jack up service prices higher than almost any independent repair shop in Austin. Dealerships have a reputation for overcharging for the work they provide, and that reputation isn’t exactly unearned.
On top of that, dealership service doesn’t always live up to the expectations you might have. If you get service at your dealership, you’ll almost certainly talk to a service advisor about your vehicle’s needs—not the mechanic who will actually work on your vehicle. And if you decide to switch from one car brand to another, chances are high that you’ll need to find another place to get service anyway.
Auto Repair Shop
Do you want auto service in Austin without going through your dealership? If so, your other option is to find an auto repair shop in the area. Not all independent repair shops are equally qualified, but the best of the bunch can easily meet or surpass the service provided by dealerships.
While auto repair shops don’t have the recognizable brand names that dealerships advertise, that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. If you find a high-quality Austin garage, you can count on them to fix any type of vehicle imaginable—regardless of what brand it belongs to. Better yet, going the independent route can come with an extremely significant reduction in auto maintenance and repair costs.
Since most auto repair shops fall into the “small business” category, they live or die based on the level of service they can provide to their customers. That means you’ll almost certainly get more personalized attention at an independent garage than you would at a dealership. As a result, standalone shops are the best choice for anyone interested in getting to know the people working on their car.
For the vast majority of Austin residents, getting service at independent repair shops is the way to go—but that doesn’t mean these businesses are perfect. For example, some (but not all) independent shops don’t have access to OEM parts.
Aside from that relatively minor issue, the biggest problem with auto repair shop service has to do with the process of finding a shop in the first place. As most Austin motorists know, countless garages advertise the auto repair and maintenance work they provide locally. Because of that, you need to have your priorities in check before choosing a garage for your auto service needs.
Dealership Service and Warranties: What You Need to Know
So far, you’ve had a chance to read about the pros and cons that come with dealership service in Austin. But there’s another reason why people in this part of Texas go to their dealerships for service—even though they don’t need to. To get a complete understanding of your auto maintenance options, you should know how auto service affects (or, more accurately, doesn’t affect) your warranty.
Many Austin residents opt for dealership service for one reason: They believe getting maintenance or repair service anywhere else will void their warranty. However, this isn’t something you need to worry about in Texas—or anywhere else in the United States, for that matter. Under American law, dealerships aren’t permitted to alter or revoke warranties based on where a customer goes for auto service. That means you can go anywhere you want to take care of your vehicle!
What Should Your Auto Repair Shop Deliver?
Let’s say you’ve decided that finding an independent Austin auto repair shop is the right choice for your needs. While that’s an important decision, you’re not quite done—after all, you still need to decide which auto shop you want to work with!
Fortunately, picking an Austin garage can be surprisingly simple when you know what you’re looking for. When it’s time to find an auto repair shop in this part of the country, keep these priorities in mind:
- ASE-certified mechanics. An independent garage is only as good as its workers, and ASE-certified mechanics are as good as it gets. If a shop you’re looking at doesn’t employ mechanics with this level of expertise, keep looking.
- High-quality parts. Not every auto repair shop can boast that they use OEM parts on every repair—but some can. When you find a shop that uses these parts, you won’t need to sacrifice one of the defining advantages of dealership service. At the same time, you’ll benefit from the low rates and excellent customer service associated with independent garages.
- A broad range of services. No matter what your vehicle needs, your auto shop of choice should be able to take care of it for you, so it’s crucial to look for a garage that can work on anything from oil changes and preventative maintenance to brake and auto A/C repairs.
- Auto and tire service. Continuing on from the last point, many garages claim to be a one-stop shop—until you run into tire problems. Make sure your auto shop of choice also offers tire installation, alignment, and other tire services.
- Money-saving opportunities. Even if you’re paying less at an independent shop than you would at a dealership, why not try to save even more? Today’s best auto shops give their customers deals through online coupons.
- Convenient service. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if you didn’t have to drive to your garage for appointments? This seemingly far-fetched idea can become a reality if your auto shop offers concierge service. Better yet, some garages don’t even charge extra to pick up and drop off your vehicle.
Get the Best Auto Repair Austin Has to Offer
For most people in Austin, finding high-quality, affordable auto repair services means going beyond their dealership. If you’re ready to explore your options for car maintenance in Austin, don’t wait any longer.
Instead, book your first appointment at Lamb’s Tire & Automotive today!